Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Encouraged

Today I feel so encouraged. Although I have still $2000 to raise and had a failed attempt to raise some money today, I had an awesome fundraiser on Saturday night..
I would just like to acknowledge my family and friends that helped me to raise another $1000 towards my trip. First of all, to my husband again who holds the fort whenever I set out to achieve such an event. Then, my family who I constantly rely on to pull out all the stops for me, like I could do to no others. That includes my mum, sisters, cousins and Aunty Sivi and Uncle Arthur especially, Asaua's family - especially Tee and Ants. Then, thank you to my sponsors "Pacific Grace Jewellry", then the best act of the night CYDEL -these guys are so awesomely talented and just went above and beyond to make it an enjoyable night, also big ups to Molee, MC Sio, Jane and Tina, and all of those who bought tickets and celebrated with me. I love you all. (Shux, I sound like I'm accepting a Grammy haha).
Another reason why I feel so encouraged today, is because I received an email today with an article that confirmed for me that I am on the right track.
Years ago, I watched a dvd series called the Dream Giver, by Bruce Wilkinson. This book was a defining book in my life as it spoke to me about how God gives us the dreams in our heart. Of course, there is a measure to whether a dream is of God or whether it is just a figment of our imagination. But as I have dreams, like ones of going to Ethiopia, God has set a process in my life for me to achieve that dream and often throws things in my path -for this dream and others - to confirm that I am on the right track. Well, I believe that this article is one of those messages from Him -straight to me.

But before I cut and paste it for all of you to read, here is an encouragment for you to achieve YOUR dreams -

90% of people have an idea and discount it immediately as impossible for whatever reason.

7% have an idea, try to work out how they could do it, but are dissuaded by friends (?) and circumstances and lack of confidence.

3% have an idea and work and will not give up until they have achieved their goal.

I like to think of myself being part of that 3%. I don't want to come to the end of my life and regret not doing what I felt in my heart, God had given me a dream to do...this is my window of opportunity and I'm taking it!!

Here's the article from "Court in the Act" July 2009 Issue www.youthcourt.govt.nz

Steve’s story
The following is from a letter to Principal Youth
Court Judge Andrew Becroft from His Honour
Judge Tony Fitzgerald, a Youth Court Judge in
Auckland and founder of the Auckland City
Youth Court Intensive Monitoring Group (IMG).
Dear Andrew
Every now and then a story
comes out of the Youth Court
that is worth sharing. I have the
permission of the young person
involved in this case to share his
story (with his anonymity
protected), perhaps with a view
to it being included in a future
edition of “Court in the Act”. It
is something I hope will provide
motivation and encouragement
to others.
The young man concerned, who
I will refer to as “Steve”,
admitted charges of being
found without reasonable
excuse in an enclosed yard on
23 June 2006 (amended down
from an original charge of
burglary) and injuring with
intent to injure on 19 August
2006. The second offence was
committed while Steve was on
an FGC plan for the first. At the
time of the offending Steve was
aged 16.
The assault was a brutal and
unprovoked attack by members
of a gang of which Steve was
then a member. As a result of
the beating, the victim suffered
some brain damage from the
concussion, a fracture to the left
cheekbone and damage to the
left eye which resulted in
permanent blurry vision. He
was a promising rugby player
who will never be able to enjoy
playing his sport again to the
same extent.
The victim and members of his
family attended Steve’s original
FGC and were prepared to
forgive him for his part in what
happened because he played a
lesser role in the assault than
the main offenders who were
adults.
Steve was ordered to undergo
supervision for six months plus
120 hours of community work.
He did not properly engage or
comply with either order and
his family were said to not be
interested or supportive.
Therefore application was made
to the Court to cancel the
community work order and
substitute another. By the time
the application regarding the
supervision order was made,
the order had expired.
To this point the picture seems
gloomy and all too familiar.
The Family Group Conference
that was then directed was
attended by a friend of Steve’s
family who is involved with the
Habitat for Humanity
organisation. The FGC was
again attended by the victim
and a victim support person.
Agreement was reached about
Steve being able to go to
Ethiopia with other young
people for three weeks and
complete work for the Ethiopian
community as part of the Habitat
for Humanity programme. To
earn his place on the team,
Steve was required to first
complete 60 hours of
community work in Auckland
which he did.
What follows are some extracts
from the reports (in October
2008) that came back from
Ethiopia:
“Steve has shown great
progress in the time he has
been under my care. He has
had a change of heart and
attitude.
He is a natural people’s person
who showed respect for all
people and got on well with his
whole team. He is a young
person who loves kids and
really respects old people. He
was popular with the Ethiopian
people and was a real hit and
they loved him for that.
Steve certainly put his weight’s
worth of work in and worked
hard consistently for all the days
we were on site. He has a great
sense of humour and is a real
story teller.
He was a hit on the team and a
great team player. His natural
charming personality warmed
him to the other team members.
Steve is a young man at a
crossroads who was challenged
in Ethiopia to the core and did
some soul searching while
there. He made some brave
decisions whilst there which he
will now need to follow up when
he returns home.
There were no problems at all
with him and we developed a
healthy respect for one another.
It was a pleasure to mentor
Steve for the three weeks we
were in Ethiopia.
This positive progress by Steve
has continued. On 6 March
2009 an evening was organised
at which Steve made a 15
minute powerpoint presentation
about his experiences in
Ethiopia in front of a large
crowd. Those who know him
see his natural leadership
abilities.
At that event it was publicly
proposed that Steve go again to
Ethiopia this year as a mentor
and that another at-risk-youth
be chosen to go as an
understudy. Steve would be
required to contribute
significantly towards his own
costs.
This success with Steve has led
the family friend and sponsor
(from Habitat for Humanity) to
want to work closely with the
Youth Court and CYFS in future
to develop similar opportunities
for other young people. This of
course will require financial
support from the wider
community to make such
ventures possible and thought is
being given now as to how to go
about obtaining such support
and developing this opportunity
for others.
Yours sincerely
A J FitzGerald
Youth Court Judge
Continued

No comments:

Post a Comment